Saturday, October 13, 2007

Zoo Day




Is it just me or does Helen look slightly skeptical about my ability to navigate us around the zoo?
(In my defense, the map was terrible.)




Asian elephant, female.


Helen and me wondering around the beautifully landscaped zoo.

Asian elephant, male.

We love that eye contact - good for bonding!

We decided to call this camel with the lips Elvis


Entrance into an area of the zoo.



Stew couldn't resist taking this photo of the men's room.


The baby.

Check out the mullets on these guys - the one in the red shirt had a longer piece on each side in the back...very nice.

Stew's training for National Geographic.


Group watching the hippo.



Hippo enjoying the sprinkler.


Zoo groundskeeper.

We actually took these photos yesterday. We had a nice day at the zoo and then we had the afternoon to ourselves to do whatever. For a bit, I hung in the room and cleaned things up and organized everything for today since we always have to get going pretty early to make breakfast, take Helen to the hotel clinic to have her head spots looked at, and then meet our group by 9:00 - phew. While I was doing that, Stew took Helen for a walk and returned with FIVE new pairs of shoes for Helen! She had a pair on and was so happy, I think he created a monster! He was a great shopper and picked up supplies we needed, he also got Helen a new toy and a gift for me. Is that a good guy or what? Helen feels better everyday from her cold and the head treatments are really helping, though as I mentioned, that cap drives her nuts - so itchy. She's ok with it until about 3:00 and then she's had it - who can blame her? Stew's feeling like he's on the mend but now it's my turn. I'm still trying to ward it off before it becomes full-blown. Other than the health update, I want to let everyone know that Helen is doing well with us. She has good eye contact and has started to put her arm around our necks. It's so amazing to witness her willingness to trust us. Things Stew and I need to get better/quicker at: getting her dressed and washing her hair. Things we are very good at: changing diapers on the bus and getting that bottle made and in the pie hole right quick.

Today we visited a beautiful and peaceful hillside garden and then went to a tea house for a tasting. Tomorrow is free in the morning and lots of paperwork in the afternoon.

Everyone is so pleasant to us and is very interested in Helen, smiling and nodding their approval. Not everyone here feels the same way, of course, but so many are supportive and the ones who are not don't pay any attention to us. The city is gorgeous with trees and flowers everywhere. The pollution is terrible, as you've probably read, and the driving is insane. We really miss everyone at home but are really enjoying our time in this amazing country.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

helen,

I was enjoying giving my mom a lesson in zoo animals this morning from your pictures. Then I got to that picture your baba took in the boys bathroom. I didn't quite know how to explain that one. Hmmm. :) You look stylish in your cap. Can't wait to meet you.

Muriel.

Anonymous said...

Heath, Stew and Helen -
It looks like you are having a great time together as a family! What a beautiful zoo! Trust me, there are NO elephants in MN, so enjoy them!
I'm so glad to hear you are all getting along well even without feeling 100%!
Can't wait until you are home!
We love you!
P.S. Hoping there was somewhere to sit down (if needed) in the bathroom!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing zoo! I'm can't wait to see Helen's new shoe collection. I can only imagine she's the bees knees.

Rydley said...

The zoo is much prettier than I imagined!

Those shoes get you every time! I'm wishing I had purchased many in different sizes - so you go Stew!

Anonymous said...

The photos are wonderful!

Dennis Cass said...

You are taking your child to the zoo. You're already doing it!

Love seeing the pictures. Can't wait to meet her.

Love,

Dennis