Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Reading Is Fundamental



Reading books before bed with Dad.



In Minnesota, the Sleep Sack is a MUST!



Helen would rather read books than play with her toys. Current favorite: Busy Monkeys. She could listen to that book all day and some days...does! She knows what a monkey says and the past few days, when she sees a picture of an animal, pretty much any animal, she makes the monkey noise, "Ooooh, ooooh, ooooh". In her case it's actually more of a "mmm, mmm, mmm". She also knows where her feet, toes, and belly button are! Grandpa Pokorny will be pleased to learn Dad has taught her "pupik" as well - Czech word for belly button.

I'm amazed at how much I'm learning every day - about Helen and about myself. Lots and lots about myself. I've learned that I'm not as patient as I thought I was and I'm more selfish then I knew. With those 2 things in mind, how our day goes at home together is all up to me. Helen is a week away from 14 months and she is very busy with that. The only one standing in our way of having a great day is me. It only took me about 3 months to figure that out... What a life lesson that is, huh? Being home with her every day is the most difficult and awesome thing I've ever done. Some days 6:00, when Stew gets home from work, cannot come soon enough. That said, those days often end up being the best ones because I've managed to learn something very important. After dinner, I usually collapse on the sofa and watch as Stew plays or reads with Helen. It's this perspective, this little bit of distance after a paticularly long day, that always gets me. As I watch this amazing, beautiful, smart, hilarious kid play with her daddy before bed, I get a little weepy. How lucky I am. How very lucky, indeed.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

go daddy! read those books.

Anonymous said...

Very sweet post. :-)