Saturday, May 12, 2007

What to do, what to do?

I'm having a pushmi-pullyu week. I keep thinking "better to borrow as many items as we can and use that money for things like, oh I don't know...college", on the one hand. On the other hand, I think "we've been through so much ickiness over the past 6 years, let's get to the fun part already." Fun meaning shopping for cute, NEW, baby stuff. Nursery furniture included in that. What's more important, extra money or new stuff? Gosh, for me...today, I can't seem to choose. Is it even a question? Some people are delighted to borrow as much as they can - loving every minute of saving that money to use for other necessities. Others have reacted the opposite, deciding it's very important to get what they have personally researched and carefully chosen.
She certainly won't care a hoot if her crib and highchair used to belong to someone else.
For me, maybe it's the ritual - that nesting part. Maybe I don't want to miss out on this piece because it's something I don't have to miss out on. We'll miss her first smile, the first time she rolls over, the first time she crawls... Of course, I realize shopping for nursery furniture won't replace those precious moments in any way, but is there anything wrong with a little retail therapy? As of next week, our paperwork was submitted 18 months ago, maybe a new highchair will make me feel better.
Torn.
Anyone else felt this way? Any thoughts?
Help a sister out, wouldya.

8 comments:

Terri said...

I feel the same way! I want to buy new...but borrowing and second hand is so practical. At the same time, our little ones have gone through so much already, don't the deserve the best OR will they even care? It would be so fun to fab up a nursery. I think it is time for you to register @ target or someplace and let your family and friends far and wide help you decide! Post it on your blog. :-)

Anonymous said...

Went with the borrowed crib...it failed us on night two. Good thing Muriel fell in the crib, not out of the crib. Buy a new safe crib and enjoy shopping for one. Besides that - you need it for the cute pink toile bedding.

Rydley said...

Hey! You may not have missed her first crawl or roll over...we got all of that even though she was 11 months. (She was stuck on her back for so long that she still sometimes gets panicky thinking that she doesn't know how to roll over.)

Anyway...we borrowed a lot, and repainted and decorated our furniture (table, armoire and dresser), bought a lot of sale (new crib, new rocker) and I splurged on my most favorite bedding ever.

If you plan on a second, I'm finding that I need diddly squat for our second kid, so you might as well get what you want the first time, whatever it is.

Anonymous said...

Hi there !

I think about you guys a lot and read your posts regularly. I'm so happy the CCAA is finally in YOUR month as I know what a huge turning point it is during the wait.

My advice is to SHOP, SHOP, SHOP!! You deserve to get what you want and it can be very therapeutic and fun (at least it was for me).

If it makes you feel better I have several suitcases you can borrow for the trip...in fact some have already been on three China adoptions trips, so let me know if you're interested. :-)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a big month this month!

Take care!

Anonymous said...

On one hand shopping is fun, but on the other I am sure glad that I still had a little money (allbeit VERY little) in the bank when my lay-off happened. Maybe do a bit of both.

I can say that it is fun to know that an adorable outfit that my girl is wearing was also worn by her 2 cousins or a good friend's child - gives her a connection to the family.

I think this is something that any new parent can struggle with. I agree - REGISTER at Target for any wishlist thing you can think of, let someone throw you a baby shower - your baby will be here this summer! Annette

Anonymous said...

Heather,
I think you should make your list and start shopping! Enjoy the adventure. You'll never have that much time to browse again - I promise! I think after you get started you'll get more of a sense for the items you wouldn't mind borrowing and the great items you just have to buy yourself. Consider it a mother/daughter bonding experience ...

Anonymous said...

Shop till you drop, girl! Like you said, retail therapy can go a long way! And you DO deserve it!
Remember - you'll still have her first smile with YOU, and all those firsts to cherish. I can't wait to be there to see it (well, I guess I'll have to wait until the homecoming at the airport), but I'll be there!!! :) Hang in there, guys! Your angel will be here soon!
Cher..

Anonymous said...

Buy a new highchair, that is the one thing that I loved having "brand spanking new" - besides they have so many cute ones and there aside from that their isn't any old crud lurking in crevices - I know that is gross but hey. It's weird how the closer the day gets to the "arrival" the more sterile you want things. I think they call it "nesting" Mama Heather. - Jojean