Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

My dear friend, Matt, holding my girl.


My dear friend, Dan, me, and Matt mugging with H - borrowing Matt's glasses, striking her thinking pose.



Brianna, snack time supervisor!





Zach, the baby whisperer!

Check out the smiles on those two, Brianna and Zach. Helen and I can only hope that after years of exposure, the "Pokorny Photo Op Smile" rubs off on us.



Cleaning up after a long day of playing at Grandpa's.



Once again, we packed it in over Thanksgiving. Wednesday and Thursday were spent with good friends and the rest of the weekend was spent in Iowa with family. The car trip went better then it has, thankfully. We finally caved and got a DVD player for the headrest. I felt pretty guilty when I snuck a look over my shoulder and found Helen completely transfixed. She hardly made a peep for TWO hours. On the one hand, it was a beautiful thing no words can describe. On the other, it was a little disturbing to see her so absorbed. For two hours of no screaming in the car, I'm fairly certain I can get over it. Helen had a lot of fun with our friends and got tons of attention from her family. I've made a note-to-self about how awesome that is so the very next time I'm dragging my feet over driving to Iowa, I'll remember. Both Stewart and I grew up with extended families around us and we wouldn't trade that for anything. Our families live in Iowa. If we want Helen to feel the love, we've got to haul her little bum down there - she can't drive herself.

Weather permitting...we'll be back for Christmas!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! Fun! Over the hills and through the woods... to the relatives' homes we go! So glad you were able to share the holiday with both your good friends here in MN and your families in IA! Here is to no snow & dry roads at Christmas time!

Love, Lysa

Anonymous said...

Oh heath! I get so mad at myself that i don't have/TAKE more time to check the blog more often!!! It is sooooo awesome to see pics and video of H and you guys!! And of course, you know i LOVE your writings!! You are wise beyond words, Heather, so clever and, well, just AWESOME! i loved the video of Helen's words. I like turtle best, too!! I'm glad you made the trek to IA. I know that DVD thing can be a little guilt-laden, but man...you'll get over that quick! :) Peace is a wonderful thing in the car!!!

Happy, happy b-day to you and H today!!! I miss you so much! I wish this busy season allowed for travel time to MN to see you!! I just checked our hockey schedule to see if we might possibly play in Waterloo over Christmas time so we could maybe see you, but no luck. They play us HERE twice. Go figure. Hopefully after the first of the year, i can plan a trip up north! I hope this season finds you all HEALTHY (i appreciate that so much now that we've all been sick for weeks!!) and happy and crazy in love, the three of you!! Blessings to all of you! You are such a dear friend. I love ya!!!
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

P.S.
I'm so glad your dear friends go to come back for a visit! i know how much you miss them, too!
c